Friday, November 30, 2012

Moon

"Moon"  (pastel, 7x5 inches)  click here to bid

The moon was full two nights ago. It was quite a beautiful clear night where I live.

I love the symmetrical white 'moon-mask' on this cow. So it's not round as a full moon, but still reminded me of one.

This also happens to be the painting in which I finally used up my tiny shard of Terry Ludwig Eggplant (You can see evidence of it in the eyes, the side of the head, and right side of the body.) Though I used the black pastel primer under the black hide, it still felt odd not being able to make my blacks any darker once that TL Eggplant was gone. But perhaps I need to take a deliberate hiatus from the TLE for a while, because I do like how this cow came out after all. The marks somehow seem more interesting. The subtleties visible in the overall lower contrast have a sort of calmness, and I kept the whites toned down in brightness to balance.

.

2 comments: