Friday, January 11, 2013

4 And a Half Sheep

"4 And a Half Sheep"  (pastel, 16x16 inches)  $950 framed

One of my most daring compositions yet. When composing, I came up with several different crops from the same reference photo; this one was my favorite.

I also used a stippling technique when applying the pastel primer, which perfectly replicates the natty sheep hair! I love the effect but I'm not sure if I'll do it again; it used up a horrendously large amount of pastel! See my entire process in pictures:



















This one is still available at Cactus Jack's Gallery until January 28.

.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your process for this beautiful piece. I wish I lived so closer so I could take a workshop with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I'm still in the process of expanding my workshop area to include all of the US (and beyond!) Meanwhile, if you know of an art facility in your area, and a few people who would like to take my workshop, maybe we can get something scheduled where you are... Contact me via my website if this is a possibility!
      :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the great progress shots, Rita.
    This is a superb composition! The colors sing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool--I love the abstract composition of the sheep. I've never seen the primer you used. I rarely do pastels. Is that something that you paint on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie; the primer is a combination of Art Spectrum Pastel Primer, which comes in different colors (here used Terra Cotta), and Golden brand fine pumice gel with some Quinacridone / Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic added. All can be found at Jerrys Artarama online.

      Delete