Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Small Glade, Morning (and another Terri Ford demo!)

"Small Glade, Morning"  (pastel, 6x6 inches)  click here to bid

On Sunday I decided to pare down my efforts to a more comfortable size (for me.) Here's the first of 4 small 6x6 paintings I worked on after Terri's morning demo. This image is from the same photo as yesterday's, but a little more to the left. I used local color for my underpainting.


Below is Terri Ford's demo from Sunday She used a combination of local color and complimentary color for her underpainting:



Washing in the underpainting with denatured alcohol:


  Here's the beginning of sky with soft pastels after the underpainting is washed in:




This is as far as Terri got in the morning. She did work on it a bit more but I forgot to get another shot:


.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you once again, Rita! It is enlightening to see how she works. Will she be finishing the piece or keeping us in suspense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, she did some more work on it, but I forgot to get another shot. I don't recall if she actually finished it at the workshop location. I remember they took a lottery for the rights to purchase this one and Friday's demo (Saturday's trees having been snatched up already!) but I already have my little Terri Ford landscape from the 2011 IAPS, so I didn't really pay attention to who was buying these.
      She does have another painting of the same scene on the main page of her website: http://terrifordart.com/

      Delete
  2. Hi Rita,
    Thanks for getting back to me...will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a big difference between using rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, I can't recall using rubbing alcohol before, but that question came up in the workshop and Terri says it (rubbing alcohol) leaves a residue. So the denatured is much better. Can be found in a can at Walmart or Home Depot, etc. in the paint section.

      Delete