Monday, April 21, 2014

Don Kiwi

"Don Kiwi"  (pastel, 12x6 inches)  click here to bid

This was one of my demos on Saturday of the Ulysses, Kansas workshop. (I've been so busy with life that it's taken me this long to post it!) The majority of students had been at my workshop in 2013 and were more interested in new color and surface experiments, but two attendees were new to my workshops and wanted to see how I've been working for the last 2 years, aka, my gold and terra cotta primer underpainting method. So this very young donkey was done as usual with 3 layers of the gold primer (Golden brand Fine Pumice Gel with Quiacridone Nickel Azo Gold acrylic color added at a 2/1 ratio) building up a value scale through the light and mid-values, and Art Spectrum pastel primer in terra cotta brushed on for the darkest values.

Unfortunately I have no progress shots. But this post (Flamenco) has a good description, with photos, of my underpainting process with the primers.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment