Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Bison Calf

"Bison Calf"  (pastel, 8x6 inches)  click here to bid

It's all about the light.

Progress shots:








The last image (the finished painting) was scanned, rather than photographed. The only physical difference is a bit more definition on the left ear. This really illustrates the difference between photographing (esp. in various lighting situations) and scanning. Once in a while I can get a photo that looks almost similar to a scan of the same image, but really not very often!

Photographers may know all about the right lighting balance, etc, but when I need to get a decent photograph of my art I just set it out on the porch in the shade and make sure the edges are squared. But the small stuff I just scan. The large stuff I scan also, in sections, but it usually takes me a while to splice it all together, so I also photograph those for a quick post.

Fyi, my scanner is an Epson V700. It's lasted longer than any other scanner I've had, and does a pretty good job. It came with the Silverfast SE scanning software which I really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment