Friday, July 29, 2016

Third View from the Drive

"Third View from the Drive"  (pastel, 8x10 inches)  sold

This was a commission of sorts from a client who had bought "Second View from the Drive" a year or two ago from an art festival. Her daughter liked it so much she wanted one similar, so I simply worked again from the same photo. I made a point not to look at the first painting, so that this one could have a distinctively different style (since my landscapes are kind of all over the place when it comes to technique!)

"Second View from the Drive" was a workshop demo and had larger, bolder strokes.
"Second View from the Drive" pastel, 8x10, sold
Ok, so you're wondering, what was the first View from the Drive? Here it is, a little plein air piece from 2009:
"View From the Drive" pastel, 5x7, sold
And what drive was that?
My driveway, I mean! The first View was looking out to the lot across the street (which now has fence and an outbuilding stuck between those trees) on a very misty drizzly day. I stood in my driveway while painting it.
The Second (and Third) View is part of the empty lot next to us in the early morning light. Alas, these two were not plein air, but from the same photo (taken from the driveway.)
photo of next door lot
Luckily, this lot still looks much the same. It has a huge concrete water tank a little bit to the left of this tree, smack dab in the middle of the lot, which seems to discourage anyone from building there.

I'll be on my way to Little Rock in the morning, for my 4-day workshop next week. So I might not post again until Monday. Have a great weekend, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment