Friday, November 4, 2016

Day 5 - Albina

"Albina" (pastel, 6x6 inches)  click here to bid

Day 5 in my 30-Paintings-in-30-Days of November, and the last of my 'early batch'. I'm up in Springfield Missouri this weekend teaching a workshop, so tomorrow I should have a finished demo to post, and maybe some workshop pics.

Here are some progress shots of Albina:
My unique underpainting process starts with layers of a gold colored primer. This is Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold fluid acrylic color mixed into Golden (brand) Fine Pumice Gel. The gel is clear, so the color mixture is semi-transparent, and gets darker on each application.
 Three layers of the gold.
 The final layer of primer is the Art Spectrum (brand) Pastel Primer in the terra cotta color. I lay it into the darkest areas, then scrub and dry-brush it into the medium values of the gold to continue the value scale and add more depth to the monochromatic underpainting. This ghostly white goat needed very little terra cotta.
 Then comes the fun part - coloring!


Thanks for watching! Please share!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment